Oh how I love a winter warmer like this recipe. It was created with a hearty spicy healthy view. Add a bit of this and a bit of that and it turned out to be just delish! We like to serve it with a fresh mint, finely chopped cucumber and zesty lemon yoghurt. Nutritious, sustaining, and low sugar.
- 1 kilo beef, chuck steak
- 1 brown onion finely chopped
- 1 TBS extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 heaped TSP ground coriander
- 1 heaped TSP ground cumin
- 1 TSP garam marsala
- 2 star anise
- 1 TSP dried chilli flakes (optional)
- 1/2 cup passata or tin tomatoes (chopped)
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1/4 bunch kale
- 750 mls homemade chicken stock
- 1/4 TSP freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/4 TSP sea salt to taste
- Heat oil in a saucepan large enough to cook the curry.
- Brown onion and garlic, then add the meat and brown.
- Add all the spices to the meat to coat and slightly toast, smelling the aroma.
- Add the tomatoes, stock and stir to combine all ingredients.
- Bring to the boil and then reduce the heat to simmer. Cover with a lid and cook for 1 hour or until meat is tender.
- Once cooked, add the chickpeas and the kale and stir through the curry. Cover and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Season to taste and serve with minty yoghurt.
Recipe by Mel Clark, Food Envy Catering: Instagram at @foodenvyoz