Howdy! This traditional Texan recipe has been in our family for decades and while we can’t all cook up a storm like Aunt Bobby, we sure can dabble in some fun reinventions of this classic chicken dish which is rich in powerful antioxidants, super easy to make and bursting with that Mexican flavour we all love!
- 10 corn tortillas, cut into 1cm strips
- 8 cups chicken broth (no MSG variety)
- 3 or 4 unskinned chicken breasts
- 2 medium red onions, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- Handful coriander
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup picanti sauce/hot
- 2 TBS olive oil
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Place chicken breasts in pot with 8 cups of chicken broth and cook medium heat until done (about 20 minutes). Foam will eventually disappear.
- Place 1 tbs of olive oil in a large Dutch oven pot over medium heat. Add diced onion and garlic and cook until softened.
- Add diced tomatoes, handful of coriander leaves and finely chopped coriander stems, and picante.
- Add 1/4 cup lemon juice and let simmer for 20 mins, stirring occasionally.
- Once the chicken is done, remove the chicken from the broth and when cool enough to handle, chop or shred the chicken. Add chicken and used broth to the casserole dish.
- While chicken is simmering, prepare pan with oil and cook tortilla strips, handful at a time for roughly 1 minute. Drain on a paper towel, or, alternatively press in a sandwich press until crispy.
- Ladle soup in individual bowls and add tortilla strips over the soup. Sprinkle with avocado, coriander, shredded cheese, and jalapeno peppers (optional).