I grew up with this recipe. It was Mum’s go to, minimal ingredients, quick to cook and delicious! The family will love it. Serve with brown rice and your favourite steamed greens.
- 1 kg Chicken breast, poach then cut up into square inch chunks
- 1 Onion sliced into rings and halved
- 6 tbsp Wholemeal flour (For gluten free use Gluten Free flour or rice flour)
- 6 tbsp Butter
- 750 mls A2 milk (full cream)
- Salt and Pepper for seasoning
- Poach chicken breasts (put chicken in a saucepan, cover with water and bring to boil. Once boiling turn off and let the chicken cook in the hot water for an hour – this will keep the chicken moist)
- Prepare the onion and set aside.
- Depending on desired consistency, 1 tbsp each of flour and butter per 250ml a2 milk.
- Melt the butter, then add the flour and make into a paste. Careful not to burn or brown the butter.
- Gradually poor in the milk, stirring or whisking constantly.
- Season with salt and pepper
- Once the sauce starts to thicken, turn down to a simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Add the onions and stir for a few minutes.
- Add the chicken and stir.
- Serve with a sprinkle of parsley, rice and steamed green vegetables.
Recipe by Sara Millikin, A Healthy View