We love these Christmas treats from our friends at The Healthy Chef; gluten free and fun for the kids. This recipe makes about 10 gingerbread men. Enjoy!
- 280 g (2 ¾ cups) almond meal
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon gluten free baking powder
- 4 (60 g) fresh soft pitted dates or prunes
- 50 ml extra virgin olive oil, macadamia oil or coconut oil
- 40 g raw honey, maple syrup, molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean extract
- 1 egg white
- Combine almond meal, baking powder, dates and spices in a food processor.
- Process until combined and mix is crumbly.
- Add olive oil, honey (+molasses if using), vanilla + egg white.
- Process again until a soft dough forms.
- Remove the dough and flatten down slightly between 2 pieces of grease-proof paper (baking paper) – about 3 mm thick.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour to allow the dough to firm up. If in a hurry, place in the freezer for 20 minutes.
- Cut out into shapes with a gingerbread cutter and place cookies onto a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Bake at 150 C for 30 minutes or until golden.
- Remove from the oven and cool. Decorate as you like… I iced mine with melted white chocolate.
Recipe is so Low Sugar Lifestyle approved! Original recipe and photo by Teresa Cutter, The Healthy Chef