Move over Cauliflower there is a new veggie in town – Romanesco! This sexy little Italian vegetable is abundant in fibre, potassium, vitamin C and iron. It takes on the the flavour of what you cook it with and oh boy, is this dish yummy. Be liberal with your olive oil and fresh herbs in this dish.
- 1 head romanesco
- 1 head purple cauliflower
- 1 head orange cauliflower
- 3 Tbsp, 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 Tbsp salt
- 1/2 cup chopped mint
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped capers
- 2 tsp green onion
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- Zest from one lemon
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Remove romanesco and cauliflower cores and cut heads into bite-sized florets. Toss florets with three tablespoons of olive oil and half a tablespoon of salt. Spread in an even layer on two bakings sheets. Roast at 450ºF for seven minutes.
- While cauliflower is roasting, place mint, parsley, capers, green onion, and one-third cup olive oil in a blender. Pulse quickly until just combined, as the heat from the blender blade will brown the sauce and give it a bitter flavour.
- Once cauliflower is done, let cool for three to four minutes, then toss with the mint salsa verde, lemon juice, and zest. Season with salt to taste.
* Recipe by Nina Clemente, The Smile’s di Alba and definitely Low Sugar Lifestyle approved