Ingredients (serves 4)
- 80ml (1/3 cup) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large red onion, peeled, finely chopped
- 1 small red chilli, seeded, chopped
- 1/2 red capsicum, chopped
- 1/2 green capsicum, chopped
- 1/4 tsp chilli flakes
- 1/2 tsp of smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2-3 Australian garlic cloves, crushed
- 420g can organic kidney beans beans, drained, rinsed
- 420g can organic lentils, drained, rinsed
- 425g can diced tomatoes
- 1 tbs tomato paste
- 1 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Place 2 tablespoons of oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, fresh chilli and capsicum and cook until softened. Add the chilli flakes, cinnamon, cumin and thyme and cook for a further minute.
- Reduce heat to low and add the garlic, beans, lentils, tomatoes, tomato paste and remaining oil.
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove lid and cook for a further 5 minutes or until thickened.
To vary it – Stir through the parsley and serve with steamed brown rice.
Tip – Some homemade guacamole makes a nice accompaniment to this dish.