Why Combine Foods?
Firstly, I would not teach this practice if I didn’t feel that it proved incredibly beneficial for me and literally, hundreds of my patients.
Secondly, with cleansing we are trying to ease digestion so the body isn’t burdened with excess energy trying to break down, assimilate and absorb our nutrients.
I go deeper into aspects of food combining in my workbook and at residential Cleanses but for the sake of our this article let’s keep this simple.
5 Simple Rules to Cleansing:
- Fruit – keep it away from meals – never eat fruit with a meal (either 2 hours before or 2 hours after).
- Protein – only eat one protein per meal.
- Vegetables – starchy and non starchy can be combined with anything. NOT Fruit. We consider avocado a vegetable and a good fat.
- Grains – can be combined with starchy and non starchy vegetables only. Example: Brown rice with stir fry veggies, Moroccan spiced quinoa with baby spinach leaves. Beets, Baby Beans and millet in an olive oil dressing.
- Protein (organic chicken, fish, tofu, goat’s cheese, eggs) can be combined with vegetables only. NOT with a Grain. Example: Tofu and Bok Choy, Broiled Salmon with wilted spinach, Asian chicken stir fry with broccoli. NOT chicken and rice. NOT fish with basmati rice.
Remember the simpler the meal, the easier digestion will be. Again we are not getting hung up on portion sizes… we will get there.
All of our posts reflect our philosophy at A Healthy View www.ahealthyview.com A whole real food perspective on food and life. Extremes do not work but clean, whole, tasty and easy food choices can create a lifetime of good habits that lead to a lean, happy, and healthy person. Contact us on our website for our next Low Sugar Lifestyle program or a nutritional consult. Article by Michele Chevalley Hedge.