These delicious bars are great to make ahead of a busy week to keep your healthy eating on track! Then simply grab-and-go for long lasting energy that will also satisfy a sweet craving. Prunes and dates pack a tasty fibre punch as well as being good sources of iron and potassium. Almonds, sunflower and pumpkin seeds provide satiating healthy fats and protein, along with a good dose of vitamin E and magnesium.
YOU WILL NEED
1 cup Australian pitted prunes, chopped
1 cup dates
1 cup raw almonds, loosely chopped
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
1/4 cup honey or maple syrup
1/4 cup natural peanut butter
(Makes 10-12 bars)
1. Process dates in a food processor until small bits remain (about 1min). It should form a ‘dough’ like consistency. Set aside.
2. Toast oats in a 180 degree oven for 15 mins or until slightly golden brown
3. Place chopped prunes, oats, almonds, pumpkin seeds and dates in a bowl. Set aside.
4. Warm honey/maple syrup and peanut butter in a small saucepan over low heat.
5. Stir and pour over oat mixture and mix together. Begin breaking up the date ‘dough’ and disperse throughout.
6. Once thoroughly mixed, transfer to a 20cm square cake tin (or similar sized dish) lined with baking paper so they lift out easily
7. Press down until uniformly flattened. Cover in plastic wrap and let sit in fridge for 15-20 mins.
8. Remove slab from pan and chop into 10-12 even bars. Store in the fridge in an airtight container for up to a few days, or in the freezer for several months!