Sweet potatoes are one of the best complex carbohydrates around. Great for post exercise. They’re naturally sweet and loaded with fibre and nutrients and makes for a perfect gluten/wheat free crust!
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 teaspoon olive oil or coconut oil
- 1 bag baby spinach
- 1/2 cup A2 full cream milk
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 4 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 50 g feta cheese, crumbled
- Preheat the oven to 180°, then peel and slice sweet potatoes. A mandoline works well for slicing or use a knife. but a knife works great as well. The mandoline speeds up the cutting process and gives you even slices.
- Coat a pie dish with coconut oil or olive oil, then fill the bottom of the dish with a layer of sweet potato slices. Cut the sweet potato rounds in half and fill around the edges of the pie dish; round side facing up. Once the entire dish is filled, coat one more time with coconut or olive oil. Bake for 20 minutes. Turn heat up to 190°.
- For the filling, heat a none stick frying pan over medium heat. Add spinach and sauté for 3 minutes. Remove from heat; cool.
- Combine milk and next 5 ingredients in a bowl; stir with a whisk. Arrange spinach mixture in crust; pour egg mixture over spinach. Sprinkle with feta. Bake at 190° for 35 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes and then cut into 4 wedges.
Recipe inspired by Fourteen Forty and modified by Sara Millikin, A Healthy View