Zucchini Potato Pancake
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (You may need more to cook the pancakes.)
1 cup diced red onion
170 g potatoes (diced and peeled)
225 g zucchini (shredded)
2 large eggs
1/2 cup flat leaf parsley (shredded)
1/2 cup cheddar cheese (shredded)
Sea salt and pepper
- Put the shredded zucchini into a colander and place over a bowl. Sprinkle with salt and leave to rest for 30 minutes. This will make some fluid leave the zucchini so there is less water in the batter.
- Put 2 teaspoons of the extra virgin olive oil in a skillet and heat on low-medium. Add the diced onion and cook for 10 minutes until they are translucent.
- While the onions are cooking, put the potatoes in a small pan of water and add 1 teaspoon of salt. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and cook until the potatoes can be easily pierced, about 6–8 minutes. Drain the potatoes, add 1 teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil and mash so there are no lumps.
- Put the eggs in a bowl and beat until mixed. Add the cooled mashed potatoes, shredded zucchini, cooked onions, parsley and cheese. Stir until the batter is completely combined.
- Add a teaspoon of extra virgin olive to the skillet and heat on medium. Using a tablespoon, drop mounds of the batter in the pan, leaving space between the mounds. Use the spoon to gently press down on the mound to make a pancake about 2 inches wide. There should be about 5 pancakes in the pan. Cook for 4 minutes or until it is browned and use a spatula to turn the pancakes over. Cook the other side until browned for approximately 4 minutes.
- Remove the cooked pancakes from the pan and put on a plate if you are going to serve them at room temperature, or on a pan and into a warm oven. Add 1 teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil after you make each batch of 5 pancakes.