Enjoy this ‘spaghetti’ without the belly bloat. And while it’s not the recipe used by my Italian mother, it’s delicious all the same. Mushrooms contain energy-giving vitamin B12.
PREPARATION TIME: 15 MINUTES
COOKING TIME: 30 MINUTES
- 4 medium zucchini
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 cup pine nuts
- 3 cups roughly chopped tomato
- 2 portobello mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 cup chopped basil, plus extra small leaves to garnish
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons raw cacao powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- nutritional yeast, to serve
- Spiralise the zucchini into spaghetti-like noodles, then spread out on paper towel to absorb the excess moisture.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes, then add the pine nuts and sauté for 4 minutes. Stir in the tomato, mushroom, oregano, thyme, basil, honey, cacao powder, salt and pepper.
- Reduce the heat, then cover and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon.
- If you have time, remove it from the heat and let it sit for 2 hours. This will really intensify the flavour.
- To serve, divide the spiralised zucchini among four plates, add the sauce and sprinkle with nutritional yeast. Garnish with basil leaves.
For more recipes just like this check out Michele’s Book….The Healthy Hormone Diet